Welcome to Weddington Youth Ministries! At Weddington UMC, we believe adolescence provides a window of great opportunity and potential for discipleship. We passionately seek to serve God in a way that embraces this huge responsibility! It is our hope that through all we do we can equip young people with the foundational faith development necessary for a life long relationship with God and a passion to serve the Lord! Click here to view our Winter 2020 Youth Brochure.
Subscribe to our Youth Calendar by clicking here.
Mission and Values
Our Mission: Building foundations for lifelong discipleship.
- Discipleship is our core. We intentionally create, plan and implement programming centered around the process of discipleship for everyone involved in our Youth Ministry.
- Relational ministry is essential. Healthy intergenerational relationships are an integral part of developing exceptional disciples of Christ.
- We are your home away from home. The development of an environment where students can be comfortable being themselves is vital to authenticity, vulnerability, and belonging.
- Everyone is a unique creation full of great purpose. As a ministry, it is important for us to develop and encourage self confidence in our students so they can be the disciples God created them to be.
- Challenge is vital. We believe that great potential for growth and perspective comes from the times when we are pushed outside of our comfort zones. Although our ministries will have levels of comfort we will not prioritize comfort over the fulfillment of the Gospel.
Sunday Night Youth: 6:30 – 8:00 p.m.
Our Sunday evening program typically is at 6:30 p.m -8:30 p.m. We have separate programs for Jr. and Sr. High, which covers a wide range of topics, games, etc. After these programs, everyone comes back together for a time of worship in the Youth Center, led by our Youth Worship Team.
Youth Bible Studies
Bible Studies are typically Wednesdays from 7:00 – 8:00 p.m. in the Youth Center. Doors are open from 6:30 – 8:30 p.m. At Bible Study we will typically read through a book over several weeks breaking it down by chapter.
Sunday classes for youth are offered during both the 9:30 and 11:00 a.m. services each Sunday. At 9:30 a.m. we have a 6th grade class that meets upstairs in the Youth Center. At 11:00 a.m. our 6-8th graders meet for class in the main part of the Youth Center and the 9-12th graders meet upstairs in one of the Youth Center classrooms.
Our Life Groups at WUMC are one of the most important aspects of ministry. While youth group and Bible Study give the youth tools for discipleship and time for fellowship, small groups give them the opportunity to get real with one another about life. It gives youth a chance to open up about daily struggles and build close relationships with a group of youth their same age. Rising 6th grade groups will form this summer.
Life group times and places are subject to the leader. If you are interested in getting involved in a small group, please contact Tonya Tapp. We are expanding the small group ministry and are in need of leaders for new small groups. If you are interested, please let us know.
Retreats and Missions
In addition to weekly activities, the youth participate in several retreats and mission trips throughout the year. All of our retreats are discipleship based and all youth have the opportunity to attend at least one mission trip during the summer and two retreats throughout the year. Our church helps to offset the cost for all of these trips and the participant cost to attend all of them is less than $650 annually. Click here to view a list of our current 2020 mission trips and retreats.
Confirmation is a time of intentional preparation that gives youth the opportunity to reflect on the most basic elements of our faith. It is a special time to begin a journey of faith that nurtures and challenges youth to think about the nature of God, the life of Christ and learn about United Methodist beliefs. The classes are offered annually starting in January to youth, 6th grade and above with the Confirmation Service on Palm Sunday. To learn more and to register for Confirmation 2020, please click here.
Parents and Adults
You are a vital part of the Youth Ministry and we would love to have you volunteer. Please contact Anna or Andrew for more information.
Anna Plyler, Associate Youth Minister (High School)
Andrew Haylett, Associate Youth Minister (Middle School)