Foreign Missions Opportunities
We have our mission opportunities listed below in the two ways you may serve:
Please contact our church office about any of our foreign ministries.
Kenya Mission Donations Needed Our Kenya Mission Team is looking for donations to take to Nyahururu, Kenya:
1. Smartphones and Tablets – Apple or other brands that have been wiped clean of personal information and are UNLOCKED. These phones/tablets will be given to Pastors to help with their ministries. *If you don’t know how to “wipe” your phone or tablet, we will work with a trusted IT person to make sure it is completed before taken to Kenya.
2. Reading Glasses – reading glasses in strengths from +1.00 to +3.50. We will be testing the eyes of the GGFAN Staff, Pastors and their church members, as well as villagers.
Please turn in your donations on Sundays at the Information Centers in the Sanctuary and FLC. We will be collecting each Sunday throughout the year as we are planning to send teams in early December 2018, April 2019, and summer 2019. You may also drop these items off at the church office throughout the week. If questions, please contact Bradd Blocker or Paula Burnett.
Donate Money or Items
World Methodist Evangelism in Botevgrad, Bulgaria
Bulgaria is the poorest country in the European Union and has been rebuilding the church community after Communism fell in 1989. Weddington UMC helped build and continues to financially support, a church in the town of Botevgrad, through your tithes and offerings. In addition to our partnership with the church, WUMC supports Lipnitsa Orphanage, FSCI Early Years Education Program and the “House of Joshua”. For more information please contact Tonya Tapp.
Weddington UMC helped start, and continues to support, The Home of the Good Shepherd, an orphanage which houses 67 children in Nyharuru. We also partner with God’s Grace for all Nations (GGFAN), a ministry that starts churches, trains pastors, and takes food and the gospel to the 22 unreached tribes in Kenya. Several years ago we donated a truck to their ministry which transports relief food to the unreached tribes and was used to rescue fellow Christians during the tribal clashes of 2008. Please contact Ron Melvin for more information.
Weddington UMC is currently in ministry in four different countries outside of the United States. Please contact Bob Consoli, our Foreign Missions Chairperson, about any of these ministries.
A new partnership in becoming a light for the capital of arts and culture in Romania.
Light from Light Church in Sibiu, Romania is one of three Methodist churches in Romania. In late 2014 Pastor Cristian Istrate and his wife Ligia started meeting with a small bible study. As the attendance started to grow, soon Cristian and Ligia were asked by the group to start meeting Sundays, as a church, and in November 2014 were officially established as a United Methodist Church under the presence of Superintendent Daniel Topalski. Their work is not focused only inside but also outside the church. They currently have projects:
- Working with teenagers in the Skate Park, counseling and evangelism.
- Hosting regular UMW meetings where non-Christian women are invited to hear about God.
- Ministry with the orphans.
- Sharing faith through music and events.
Costa Rica Building Teams
Weddington UMC partners with churches in Costa Rica to help establish facilities for worship and housing. Most recently we are working with a congregation to build a shelter for battered and abused women and children. Groups travel to Costa Rica during the month of January. Please contact Bob Consoli for more information.